Asking to Play
Integration Specialist – Tania Kraus
There are many kids who play outside at recess. I can choose to play by myself at recess, or I can ask a friend to play.
Sometimes I just like to swing by myself. Sometimes I like to go down the slide by myself. That is okay.
When I want to play hopscotch, I may ask a friend to play with me.
I say, “Do you want to play hopscotch with me?”
My friend may say, “Yes,” and we will play hopscotch together. My friend may say, “No, I want to play tetherball.” That is okay.
I can ask another friend to play hopscotch.
If I follow the rules when I play, friends will like to play with me.
If I don’t know the rules, I can ask my friends to teach me. That is okay.
If I am friendly and polite when I play, friends will like to play with me.
Playing with friends is fun.
Here are my hopscotch rules to follow:
1. Two to five children may play.
2. Toss a beanbag or rock onto the first number.
3. Hop on one foot through all of the number spaces that do not have a beanbag or rock.
4. At the end of the hopscotch, turn around.
5. Hop on one foot back through all of the number spaces that do not have a beanbag or rock.
6. Pick up your beanbag or rock on the way back.
7. Keep going until your foot touches the line or you have to put your other foot down.
8. Then it is the next child’s turn.